Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Shortsighted lawmakers

Ok I suppose one could argue that the police and prosecutor were only doing their job:

http://www.tribstar.com/local/local_story_246225916.html

How many hours and taxpayer dollars were wasted on this case? Time that could have been used to investigate real criminals. Seems like these days, every police force in the nation complains about budget cuts and lack of time needed to go after the real criminals. If they have time to track down a granny who goes .6 grams over the limit, then maybe they DO need a budget cut.

But it's the law itself I object to. My state has a similar law regarding the purchase of pseudoephedrine. I have to sign my life away to get a box of Sudafed. That is, if I can even find a pharmacy that carries it anymore. As long as we are willing to show an ID and sign for it, why should we be allowed only one box? The law can then just go after anyone who has bought an extremely high amount, no pun intended.

Furthermore, is the police even aware that pseudoephedrine is no longer necessary for meth production? I do not keep up with the latest innovations in drug use or composition, but that much I do know. (Thank you, "Breaking Bad"!)

By their (the lawmakers) rationale, air travelers would now have to submit to mandatory body cavity searches because one guy figured out a way to smuggle explosives in a body part that one generally does not discuss in polite conversation. That story probably deserves a post of its own but it's already quite prevalent in mainstream news, and I try to go for the more overlooked stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment